Marketing for Physicians
HCMS offers many ways to develop your patient base.
HCMS has no cost and low cost resources to help its members market their practice and develop their patient base.
Set Yourself Apart with a Practice Description
As a member, your biographical information is listed in the online Physician Directory on our HCMS website. This information is helpful, but it does not communicate the many unique practice details that optimize patient referrals. Now you can promote your practice all year round by including these additional details in the Practice Description section of your Physician Directory profile. All HCMS members receive a free Practice Description.
Include procedures performed, specialized services offered, number of office locations, website address, and more. The Practice Description section is located at the bottom of your Physician Directory profile, below the office contact information. Click to see a Practice Description sample.
Click to add a Practice Description and/or update your record.
Note: If you do not have a Texas Medical Association (TMA) login/password, you must register on the TMA website first. Once registered, you can use this same login/password to access the Physician Directory. Then you can enter your member profile to create a Practice Description.
Find Networking Opportunities
Build your patient referral network and earn ethics CME credit by attending the following HCMS meetings:
- Meet physicians in your community at branch meetings.
- Meet physicians from the Greater Houston area at the Business Expo.
- Meet early career physicians at upcoming annual events.
- Attend the Marketing 101 ethics CME to learn about HCMS and TMA resources available to you to grow your practice.
- New: When registering for a meeting (branch meetings, Marketing 101, etc.) physicians will receive an RSVP list prior to the meeting. In addition, attendees will also receive a follow-up list after the meeting, to maximize the networking experience.
Targeted Direct Mailings with DocList
DocList Mailing Labels are a great way to build your practice and share information with colleagues. Use these mailers to:
- Share details about your practice (i.e., office hours, languages spoken, etc.);
- Communicate changes (i.e., relocating, new staff, new procedures, etc.);
- Build your brand awareness by sharing a practice newsletter;
- Promote Continuing Medical Educational opportunities;
Order the full HCMS membership, or just by specific specialty, zip code, age preference, practice setting (independent practice, academic, hospital employed), and/or newly licensed physicians. Costs range from approximately $53 to $315. Click for an example mailing letter.
All new HCMS members and physicians in their first and second year of practice are eligible to receive one set of free electronic labels per year. Click here to get started. For more information, contact Suzy Pero at 713-524-4267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertise in the Physician Newsletter
The Physician Newsletter is published mid-month and offers a classifieds section for placing an advertisement. It has a circulation of more than 7,500 and goes out by print and email. Perfect for subleasing/leasing practice space, selling equipment or personal items, posting employment opportunities or sharing practice information with colleagues. And HCMS members receive discounted rates for qualifying ads. Click for details and forms.
For more information, contact Madison Krell at 713-524-4267, ext 240 or email@example.com.
Reputation Management - HCMS web page on preventing and repairing threats to your online reputation and building a strong positive presence.
Advertising and the Use of Patient Testimonials - HCMS Risk Management web page with TMB rules and guidance from the TMA General Counsel.
TMA web page on issues related to marketing (Includes the articles and resources below.)
- How to Improve Your Web Presence to Attract More Patients (Texas Medicine Today, Mar. 8, 2018)
- Marketing Is Not a Luxury - Marketing Is a Necessity (Texas Medicine, Oct. 2017)
- Online Reviews Can Have a Big Impact on Your Practice
- Physicians Can Help Shape Their Presence on Influential Online Rating Sites
- Guide to Responding to Yelp Negativity
- Simple Ways to Keep Your Website Fresh
- Four Ways to Increase Physician Referrals
- Seven Ways a Practice Newsletter Can Work for You
Tools and Resources:
- Practice e-Tips on Marketing Your Practice
- Practice Brochure Templates
- Webinar: 10 Ways to Turn Satisfied Patients Into Loyal Patients - TMLT policyholders who complete this course will earn a 3 percent discount (not to exceed $1,000), which will be applied to their next eligible policy period.
- Publication: Get Social: Put Your Practice on the Social Media Map - provides 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™, teaches social media newcomers about branding, online ratings, and how to use social media without violating HIPAA.