HCMS Offers Numerous Membership Benefits to Residents and Fellows:
Resources for Surviving Residency
- Low interest rates for resident and graduate medical education loans through TMA;
- Licensing and credentialing information (e.g., Texas Jurisprudence Manual and Study Guide, containing medical education checklist and FAQ guide);
- Legislative advocacy on issues that residents identify, such as resident work hours and physician in training permits;
- Continuing medical education opportunities, including on-demand Webinars and home study courses;
- Rapid access to the associations accumulated expertise in health care, health law, practice management, medical economics, and public health via TMA Knowledge Center; and
- TMA's resident e-newsletter, e-mail updates and dedicated staff resources.
- Residents Salary & Debt Report 2015:
Help with Transitioning to Practice
- TMA consulting services at below-market rates for expert advice in setting up your new practice and operating it efficiently from the start;
- Professional liability insurance through the Texas Medical Liability Trust;
- Major medical, life and disability insurance and financial services through the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust;
- TMA's Employment and Recruitment Contract Negotiation Guide;
- TMA's Webinars on the business of medicine; and
- Web-based training to allow convenient access to educational programs...Coming soon from TMA!
Opportunities for Leadership
- Join top physician leaders and represent residents on an HCMS or TMA board, council or committee that recommends policy to TMA in your area of interest, such as legislative affairs, child and adolescent health or medical education (click here for more information);
- Run for an elected position at TMA;
- Attend resident meetings at TMA's annual meetings (Winter Conference, TexMed, Fall Conference) and network with other residents across the state, enhance your knowledge of the medical profession, and help develop recommendations for TMA policy; and
- Join us for First Tuesdays at the Capitol, TMA's organized visits to legislators during the state legislative session.
Click here to apply online.
When you join Harris County Medical Society, you become a member of both HCMS and TMA.
Questions? Please contact Ahuva Terk via email or call 713-524-4267, ext. 329.