HCMS Delegation to the TMA House of Delegates - 2017
TMA House of Delegates
The Texas Medical Association (TMA) House of Delegates (HOD) is the legislative and policymaking body for the association. It is made up of over 500 elected members who serve as delegates, alternate delegates or ex officio members. The HOD meets annually during TexMed, TMA's educational showcase and expo, which is held in April or May, rotating among the large cities around the state. In 2017, the HOD meets in Houston on Friday-Saturday mornings, May 5-6. Several weeks prior to the annual session, TMA will post on the HOD web page the reports and resolutions that will be considered during TexMed. For more info, please refer to TMA's House of Delegates Guide and How the HOD Functions.
HCMS Delegation - Info and Local Evening Meetings
Serving on the Harris (HCMS) Delegation to the TMA House of Delegates carries with it the responsibility of representing the physicians of Harris County, and it also provides an opportunity to influence the policies of organized medicine. Each year, our delegation holds two evening business meetings prior to the TMA HOD annual session. All delegation members are encouraged to participate in the discussion. For more on the Responsibilities of a 2017 Delegation Member...
– On Wednesday evening, April 26, we will hold Review Teams Meetings to consider, from the TMA HOD Handbook, the action reports (from TMA boards, councils, committees) and the resolutions that have been submitted to TMA by other county medical societies, individuals and TMA sections. These Review Teams correspond to the four TMA Reference Committees. Each Review Team makes recommendations on the action reports and resolutions from its section of the Handbook as to whether our delegation should support, refer, amend or oppose. All delegation members are encouraged to sign up for a Review Team and join in the discussion. For more info on TMA Reference Committees and HCMS Review Teams and the types of issues considered...
– Immediately following the review teams meetings, we will hold our Final Business Meeting to hear the review teams' recommendations and discuss the candidates running for TMA elected offices.
– The TMA HOD Handbook items that will be discussed at our April 26 meetings will be available for download in early/mid-April on the TMA HOD Web page.
Location - John P. McGovern Bldg (The Health Museum), 1515 Hermann Dr, Houston, 77004. Maps/parking info...
Parking - Either in The Health Museum underground garage or surface lot, both accessed off of Hermann Dr.
Catering - A light self-serve buffet is provided.
Attire - Dress is business or business casual.
Schedule - The 2017 meeting schedule of the HCMS Delegation and TMA HOD:
– Review Teams meetings - Wednesday, April 26, 5:45-6:45 pm - 1515 Hermann Dr
– Final Business meeting - Wednesday, April 26, 6:45-approx 8:45 pm - 1515 Hermann Dr
Resolutions that were accepted by our HCMS Delegation at our First Business meeting on Feb 27 have been submitted to TMA by HCMS staff as coming from our delegation and will be included in the TMA HOD Handbook.
TexMed2017 - TMA House of Delegates Meetings - Friday & Saturday mornings, May 5-6, 2017
The annual session of the TMA House of Delegates will be held during TexMed2017 in Houston on Friday and Saturday mornings, May 5-6, at the George R. Brown (GRB) Convention Center and the new Marriott Marquis, connected by sky bridge to the GRB. Generally, TMA HOD meetings begin early morning and end around Noon.
– For more about the annual session, please refer to the TMA Speakers' Letter.
– For other TexMed events and activities, see the advance program. To register (free), info on keynote speakers, the TMA Foundation Annual Gala (tickets required), CME opportunities, and other business meetings.
– By early-April, TMA will begin to post the reports and resolutions from the TMA HOD Handbook on the TMA HOD Web page.
Registration - Registration for TexMed is free and may be done either online or by downloading the form. Be sure to mark the box indicating that you will be attending the House of Delegates sessions.
– House of Delegates sessions - GRB Convention Center, Level 3, Exhibit Hall A3/B3, 1001 Avenida de las Americas, Houston, 77010
– Reference Committee meetings - Marriott Marquis, Level 2, 1777 Walker St, Houston, 77010 (connected via sky bridge to GRB Level 2)
Parking - For a map/parking info for the GRB Convention Center. The GRB also has addt'l maps/parking/directions info.
Catering - Friday morning, a continental breakfast is available; Early Saturday morning, a breakfast buffet is provided at our Breakfast Caucus meeting; Around Noon on Friday and Saturday, a free lunch is provided in the Expo Hall.
Attire - Dress is business or business casual; we recommend bringing a jacket or wrap.
– Opening Session of the HOD - Friday, May 5, 8:00-approx 9:30 am - GRB Conv Ctr, Level 3, Exhibit Hall A3/B3
– TMA Reference Committee meetings - Friday, May 5, approx 9:45 am - Noon - Marriott Marquis, Level 2
– Breakfast Caucus meeting - Saturday, May 6, 6:30-8:00 am - GRB Conv Ctr, Level 3, Room 360B
– Regular Session of the HOD - Saturday, May 6, 8:30 am-Noon - GRB Conv Ctr, Level 3, Exhibit Hall A3/B3
Other TexMed meetings:
– TexMed Orientation - Friday, May 5, 6:30-7:30 am - Marriott Marquis, Level 2, Montgomery Room - First-time TexMed attendees will learn about procedures for testifying, debating, and voting on House business, and tips on making the most of TexMed.
– Candidate Forum - Friday, May 5, 12:30-1:45 pm - GRB, Level 3, Exhibit Hall A3/B3 - Grab lunch from the Expo Hall and learn more about candidates running for TMA offices. Candidates will give a brief speech and answer questions from the audience.
Information on Past Sessions
2016 House of Delegates Actions
To view the issues that were considered during the 2016 annual session of the TMA House of Delegates, please see the Summary of HOD Actions-TexMed2016 and the status of the resolutions submitted by the 2016 HCMS Delegation.
The TMA Audit Trail Library provides a compilation of Audit Trails going back to 2007.
For more information
If you have questions, would like more information, or have an interest in the Delegation, please contact HCMS staff: Alison Rutland, HCMS offices: 713-524-4267, ext. 219.