Helpful Grids and Informational Tools
HCMS has compiled and developed several grids, tools, and other resources to assist physicians' offices with the administration of practice operations.
- HCMS Charge Master Calculator (based on a percentage above break-even) - All practices need to establish a charge master or price list for services. Charge masters can be developed in multiple ways. HCMS has created a calculator in Excel which utilizes one of the possible options using Medicare's RVU data in conjunction with the practice's costs. (Updated October 2016)
- HCMS Work Relative Value Unit (RVU) Calculator - HCMS has developed a work RVU calculator to help physicians determine their total work RVUs. This calculator can be used to track work productivity and to compare one's work productivity to one's compensation. It can also be used to compare work productivity to practice management system reports. The calculator includes the top 50 codes for 40 specialties. If a particular code is not listed within the top 50 codes, additional codes can be entered. (Updated 2017)
Grids and Tip Sheets:
- Compliance Calendar (TMA)- Keep up to date on deadlines required by various rules and regulations using the TMA Compliance Calendar.
- Contract Analysis Tip Sheet (Physician Employment)- This tip sheet provides a list of items that physician should evaluate and discuss prior to signing an employment agreement
- Cultural Awareness (medical) - Houston is a city of many cultures. HCMS has created this webpage to assist our membership with caring for a diverse population of patients. August 2016)
- HIT Consultants Grid (IT Vendors) - this grid lists IT vendors and consultants with physical offices in Houston and compares the various Meaningful Use and IT services offered by each vendor. (Updated July 2016)
- HIPAA Risk Analysis - Physicians Practice developed this free risk analysis to help physicians identify potential HIPAA breaches.
- Incentive Bonus Program - grid that summarizes incentive programs offered by various health plans based on quality measures and how to participate. (Updated April 2017)
- Language-Search for Physician- a table that provides the on-line instructions for locating physicians who speak another language for the 5 major Houston health plans. (Updated February 2017)
- Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Comparison Chart - This chart lists MOC requirements for each of the 24 specialty boards under the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and what reciprocating credits are offered if you are certified in more than one specialty. (Updated July 2016)
- Reference Guide for Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physician Assistants (PAs) for in-office services - (Currently being revised) -This guide provides helpful information regarding billing for physician extenders according to major payers. (Updated Nov 2016)
- Qualified Registries - list of CMS-approved qualified registries for 2017 MIPS data submission of the Quality, Advancing Care Information (ACI) and Clinical Practice Improvement Activities (CPIA) performance categories. (Updated April 2017)
- Telehealth Grid - grid highlighting reimbursement policies for the 5 major payers in Harris County. (Updated March 2017)
Letters and Templates:
- Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) - An ABN is a standardized notice provided to Medicare patients to inform them of medical necessary services that may not covered by Medicare.
- Authorization to Disclose Protected Health Information
- Consent Forms - The Texas Medical Disclosure Panel adopted the following form which shall be used to provide informed consent to a patient or person authorized to consent for the patient of the possible risks and hazards involved with the procedure.
- Demographic Changes - It is important for physicians to update their practice demographic information with the health plans to ensure payment and other vital notices are received. Below are the forms and methods to make these important changes through each major payer
- HITECH Non-Disclosure
- Sample policy - Regarding Patient Right – Restrict Use or Disclosure of PHI
- Sample Form - Regarding Patient Right - Restrict Use or Disclosure of PHI
- Tort Reform Patient Agreement - Template agreement for out-of-state patients stating they agree that their medical care provided in Texas will be governed by Texas law.
- Workplace Posters - Federal:
- OSHA-Job Safety and Health Poster
- Equal Employment Opportunity - The Law Poster
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities Under the Family and Medical Leave Act - Poster
- Your Rights Under USERRA - Poster
- Employee Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act - Poster
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - Poster
- Other posters - Poster Advisor helps to determine which posters are required based on employer size, sector, and other factors.
- Workplace Posters -Texas:
- Texas Pay Day Poster - Poster
- The Law in Texas (equal opportunity) - Poster
- Child Labor Law - Poster
- Notice to Employees Concerning Workers' Compensation in the State of Texas
- Employees Notice of Ombudsman Program - Poster
- Patient Posters/Notices (required):